Friday, March 8, 2013

FREEBIE Friday: Shamrock Articulation-Rhyming Match Up!

clip art courtesy of: Oodles of Doodles found at www.theJoyofKindergarten.com 
This is the last St. Patty's Day material I made for my kiddos this year.  I wanted to make a material that focused on the articulation difficulties my kiddos where having while also encouraging phonemic awareness and early literacy skills.  So...the St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Articulation-Rhyming Match Up was born.

This packet contains 8 sound mats (see 2 examples below) for initial and final /k, g/ as well as final /b, p, m, s/.  Can you tell that my kiddos are working on fronting and final consonant deletion? Hahaha!



And shamrocks with the rhyming words on them (see below).

 The child is to match the shamrocks correctly by their rhymes.  

Many of my kiddos are non-readers and I specifically used words without pictures this time so my kiddos can focus on "hearing" the rhymes rather than guessing at the pictures.  I used this activity this week and I cued my young clients by giving them a choice between two: "Johnny, what rhymes with tan, can or sock?" or maybe "Which two sound alike?  Tan, can?  Tan, sock?"  This way we can work on articulation and phonological awareness at the same time!  I am so glad I made this activity because I realized how some of my kiddos are really struggling with this skill.  So it was helpful information for me as well as a good articulation activity.

I also added a blank mat and blank shamrocks for you to make your own rhymes and focus on whatever sounds you are working on with your students.




Download this activity for FREE here!

Enjoy and happy talking!


2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I was perusing the web, looking for great St. Patricks Day activities to share with the pediatric therapy professionals we serve, and found your artic shamrock activity I was wondering if I could have permission to feature the photo on our Instagram feed.

    (http://instagram.com/pediastaff#).

    As you may know, I am unable to create a clickable link to your post through Instagram but I would obviously credit your blog and put a link to the specific page the post came from along with suggestion that they visit that page on your blog for directions and more pictures in the description if that works...

    Here is the post that has the image I would love to share

    http://communicationstationspeechtx.blogspot.com/2013/03/freebie-friday-shamrock-articulation.html

    Thanks so much in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well somehow I missed this comment before now and I'm very sorry. Feel free to use whatever you find anytime on this page Heidi for Instagram or Pediastaff. Again so sorry for the delay! Thank you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...